In the context of Leitrim County Council, Public Art here refers to the implementation by the local authority of the Percent for Art Scheme
It is the policy of the Leitrim County Council to contribute to the cultural well being of Leitrim through the implementation of Percent for Art as a means of funding arts projects. The underlying principle of the scheme is to support innovative once-off large scale arts projects in a manner consistent with wider capital development and economic growth.
The purposes of Percent for Art projects are to -
- Enhance and enrich the county's cultural and physical environment and public spaces.
- Integrate the work and thinking of artists into the planning, design and construction of county facilities, buildings and public spaces.
- Contribute to a sense of ownership and pride in public facilities and spaces.
- Make available ambitious and innovative art projects to the people of Roscommon which otherwise would be not viable.
- Engage communities in creative partnerships with artists.
- Support, educate and assist communities with and through public art.
Suitable Capital Projects
A ‘Percent for Art’ budget can be drawn for any capital project funded through the Department of the Environment and Local Government or the National Roads Authority. Other government departments such as Health and Education also implement the scheme, as does The Office of Public Works.
Projects financed under ‘Percent for Art’ should display the highest levels of artistic excellence, be innovative in their nature and display a high level of understanding for the community involved.
The following types of arts projects may be funded through ‘Percent for Art’.
- Involving an artist on the design team of the capital project
- Commissioning new film, music, drama, dance, literature or visual art
- Purchasing existing artwork
- Integrating new or existing artwork into the fabric of a building project
- Collaborative Arts Initiatives
- Artist-in-Residence programmes
- Interdisciplinary projects
It is not possible to fund the following through ‘Percent for Art’.
- Revenue expenses for arts organisations
- Projects which have already occurred
- Annual or ongoing Events
- Logos or graphics
- Individual workshops/masterclasses not part of a commissioned programme
- Individual lectures/seminars not part of a commissioned programme
- Landscaping or hardscape elements that would already be associated with a capital project unless designed by the artist
Projects developed in Leitrim under the Percent for Art Scheme include:
|Beitelite Crofts||Salmon Pond||Newtowngore |
|John O'Connor||Gillaroo||Kinlough |
|Seamus Dunbar||Tobar Nua||Drumcong|
|Cathy Carmen||Fáinne Gael an Lae||Drumcoora|
|Marian O'Donnell||Watching Crane||Aughavas|
|Ann Meldon Hugh||Snámh||Drumsna Harbour|
|Jackie McKenna||Train Spotter||Dromod|
|Michael Warren||Blue Angel||Manorhamilton|
|Eileen McDonagh||O'Rourke's Seat||Dromahair|
|Alice Lyons||Staircase Poems||Carrick on Shannon|
|Naill Walsh||Not Bypassed||Rooskey|
|Martha Quinn||In Turn||Manorhamilton|
|Mark Garry||Windharps||Carrick on Shannon|